Researchers in Schools is the world’s only teacher training programme that is exclusively for PhD graduates and is designed to utilise their skills for the benefit of pupils and schools, with a specific focus on maths and physics.
Partnering with RIS provides a range of benefits for placement schools that place and support participants:
- An initial two-year commitment from RIS participants to become excellent new teachers within their placement school, with a third year optional but recommended.
- Subject specialists with a background in academia and industry are supported to become excellent new teachers who disseminate their subject expertise within the school through CPD and curriculum planning.
- Delivery of Uni Pathways, a university access intervention for Key Stage 4 pupils delivered by RIS teachers, based on their academic research and including a focus on GCSE examinations.
- Engagement with Education Research through RIS teachers applying and evaluating evidence-based practise and completing a high-quality research project within the context of the school.
- An attractive funding package in partnership with the NCTL to cover ITE costs and a salary uplift to attract talented PhD graduates
- Bespoke training and support using existing ITE and school infrastructure, together with additional training and support from the charity.
“Over the past 4 years it has become increasingly difficult to recruit good quality science teachers in secondary schools; we were really struggling to build a team of qualified and committed science teachers until RIS were introduced to us. Our science department has been completely transformed with the addition of our RIS trainee teachers”
Executive Headteacher, Cleeve Park School
“The Researchers in Schools have been fantastic and have fitted in so well, adding capacity and using their expertise to help in so many ways. The current trainees are leading on the Students as Researchers project with Year 9, training students to carry out high level research on topics that the schools wants to develop, providing them with the skills they will need for the EPQ and university applications”
Professional Tutor, Parliament Hill School
“[Researchers in Schools Participants] have all brought invaluable high-level understanding of their subject disciplines that they have been sharing with pupils both in lessons, extra-curricular activities, and with colleagues. Schools are fortunate indeed to have such valuable sources of inspiration for pupils’ higher levels of learning and aspirations for higher education.”
Chiltern Training Group
Download and Print our Info Sheet
You can view an overview of the key features, benefits and finances behind hosting a RIS participant by clicking on the button below. Should you have any further questions, please contact our School Partnerships Manager Amy Broom (email@example.com).
For more information or to discuss placing and supporting a participant, please contact us on 020 7939 1947 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.